Whatever the task, without proper resources – at the very least, adequate – it is not possible to the best job you could.
Check the following list against needs for your own work –
Adequate time to meet with clients/patients/pupils; support staff and others involved in care read reports and keep up to date with new research and approaches time to relax and recharge personal batteries.
Accurate (all-round) Information
- Each client/patient/pupil’s condition, all aspects
- any changes in condition
Accurate all-round info essential to providing the most effective care possible can be found in:
- books (search widely!) websites e.g. www.amazon.com, bookshops (new and second hand)
- journals – professional
- research papers
- websites and recommended reading lists – relevant self help and charity groups
- training videos, DVDs
- colleagues involved in similar fields of work
- family, home and other informal carers
See workintogethercare.com pages on Communication and Information.
Personal – depending on time pressures; health issues; sleep; adequate or not?
Adequate space for consultation – clinic? office? Inpatient/outpatient accommodation as necessary? Admin space? Teaching space?
* Inadequate space brings its own problems…
Furniture for above; replacement of furniture as necessary.
- Training, updated regularly
- Supervision – opportunities to share problems, exploration of possible solutions
- Practical support
- Secretarial, organisational
- Appropriate support staff – nurses, therapists, teachers, cleaners?
- Record keeping – accurate and up-to-date
See Reading Resources in workingtogethercare.com Resources area.
To develop and consolidate all the above…